Kenyan death toll in Hajj disaster rises to 8
02 October 2015, 17:01
Nairobi - The death toll of Kenyans who died in the Hajj stampede in Mecca Saudi Arabia has risen to 8.
The government had earlier said that the death toll was at 6, with 14 Kenyans missing but it has been confirmed to have hit 8 Friday.
1 of the missing Kenyans has been found while 6 others are still missing after the melee that took place last week.
Over 1,000 people died in the stampede.
" We have confirmed that 8 Kenyans died in the stampede and 6 are still missing. The embassy in Riyadh is working full time to try find the missing," a status report from the Foreign Affairs Ministry said.
The Saudi government has thus far been blamed for the deaths of the pilgrims who had gone to Mina where the stoning of the devil.
Thus far, Iran has lost 400 people, which is the highest toll for any singular country.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.