Kenya to evacuate nationals in South Africa
16 April 2015, 15:13
Nairobi - Kenya will evacuate nationals stranded in South Africa over the ongoing xenophobic unrest in the southern African nation.
The xenophobic unrest has been taking place in the port city of Durban and seen five people killed and the government has for a while kept quiet on the status of Kenyans in the country.
Kenya has a large number of expatriates in South Africa and foreign affairs Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohammed said Thursday that the state would work on ways of evacuating them.
" So far we have no mention of Kenyan injuries or casualties," she said.
" That is good news for now, so we are looking to evacuate those ones we can get hold of. At the moment, we have reports that some have voluntarily taken themselves to camps," she added.
South Africa is Thursday holding a protest march against xenophobia in Durban following a wave of attacks on foreigners.
About 10,000 people are expected to attend. Foreign-owned shops have also been looted in recent weeks.
The Zulu king has been accused of fueling the violence on foreigners but insists that his comments were taken out of context.
Many jobless South Africans accuse foreigners of taking jobs in a country where the unemployment rate is 24%.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.