Kayole strip women want case dropped, court refuses
26 February 2015, 13:04
Nairobi - Two women have failed in a bid to drop charges against six men accused of stripping women naked in Nairobi.
The two women had attempted to drop the case they have against the men who have been in custody for allegedly stripping women naked in Kayole late last year.
Regina Nyambura and Martha Wambui were told at the Nairobi's magistrate court that they can’t withdraw the case in which six men have been charged with robbery with violence and stripping in public one of the women.
The court told the women that robbery with violence was a serious offence and that the case had drawn much public interest to have the men released without charge.
David Kinuthia, Lawrence Kuria, Hosea Kassim, Michael Kamau, Zachary Gitonga and Kelvin Njuguna have been accused of stripping the women and stealing from them in a purge that hit the city in October.
The six were charged in November last year with robbing Ms Nyambura of a phone, 61 eggs and KES 950. They also stripped her and indecently touched her sister, according to the prosecution.
The case will be heard March 11, 2015.
In Kenya, robbery with violence charges attract a death penalty.
President Uhuru Kenyatta called the acts of stripping women unacceptable and called on police and the courts to make a lesson out of those accused of the charge.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.