Kampala-bound locomotive catches fire, fire extinguisher fails
08 September 2014, 18:17
Nakuru - A Kampala-bound train caught fire Monday morning at Kiamunyi Estate, slightly less than three kilometres after departing from the Nakuru Railway Station.
One of the residents, John Onyango, said the locomotive engine started leaking oil before catching fire.
“We tried our best to help the crew to put off the fire. The locomotive had only one fire extinguisher which could not last long, hence we devised ways of putting it off using both water and soil,” said Onyango.
Onyango said had it not been the residents’ response, the whole locomotive that is said to have been carrying assorted goods to Kampala, would have gone into flames.
Also Read: Nakuru hotel destroyed by fire
He added that the Nakuru fire brigade took more than an hour to arrive at the scene, raising questions on its efficiency.
Another resident, Joel Mwangi, urged the government to bring new locomotives or carry out thorough renovations of the old engines to avert such crises.
Sometimes last month, a business premise within Nakuru CBD caught fire, but took the intervention of a private fire brigade, Comply, to put it off after the County fire brigade engine developed hitches.
Such incidences in the railway sector are happening when the government is constructing the multibillion Standard Gauge Railway (SGR).
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.