KUPPET gives govt ultimatum
31 May 2012, 13:48
Kenya Post Primary Education Teachers (Kuppet) have issued a stern message of 7 days ultimatum to the government and the Treasury to release the free primary fund and failure to all school going pupils and student will be sent packing.
Speaking in Nakuru on Wednesday where Kenya Secondary Schools Heads Association from western province are meeting, Kuppet National Chairman Omboko Mulemba said handling and managing the schools has become unmaintainable due to financial constraints and urgent measures should be taken to avert crises.
“The treasury, ministry of Finance should work in haste to provide the money and release immediately failure to which after one week all school going pupils and student would be sent packing and teachers left in school until the government act.” Omboko said.
They also decried on how the money has been distributed because the had agreed on the formula to be used where 50% was to re;leased during first term while 30 and 20% be released on second and third term respectively but it is only 21 % have been released and some for third term last year has not been honoured.
He also pointed that if the government fails to fund the free primary education, parent should be ready to take the initiative to fund the project.
He also called on Luhyia community to stop fighting their own and Support the Deputy Prime Minister who has shown great leadership skills.
Deputy Prime Minister Musalia Mudavadi echoed Kuppet call and said the delayed disbursement of fund is a serious concern and unfortunate which require being addressed quickly and urgent measures taken to avert early school closing.
“I will meet the parliamentary committee on free primary fund, Treasury and the parliamentarians so as to address the concern and swift action be taken to avoid students education being disrupted prematurely” Mudavadi said.
The presidential Hopeful who is also Sabatia MP got endorsement from the heads of secondary schools association from western citing they will back him in his bid as he was the right man for the moment.
“Many have been saying I am a coward and when I act they start panicking and calling for me to review my decision. I have made up my mind through diverse consultation and my vehicle does not have reverse gear therefore no turning back.” Musalia said hitting back to his critics.
Musalia said that he succumb to pressure from his backyard who questioned the Vice President slot where western province had been given resulting to 2 of them being voted out in their area and that drove him to vie for presidency the action he has made without fear.
Former cabinet Minister Mukhisa Kituyi called upon the likes of Saitoti, Raila and old politicians to drop their bid as their time was depleted by former head of state era calling them to leave leadership for young generation.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.