KES 24.6 Billion laptop tender cancelled
11 March 2014, 20:11
Nairobi - The KES24.6 Billion standard one laptop tender has been officially cancelled.
The Public Procurement Board PCB in its ruling Tuesday, said its decision was informed by the lack of financial ability on the side of Olive Technologies, to deliver on the historic award.
Olive, an Indian firm that had won the tender had seen resistance from a number of quarters who thought they were not able to deliver on the tender.
The PCB said in its ruling that the lack of financial capability on Olive's side had forced their hand in making the decision.
The board further ordered the government to re-tender within 45 days and find a suitable company to roll out the deal.
" It is important that the government finds a suitable company to avoid such a scenario in future, the statement read on the board's behalf by chair Josephine Mong'are read in part.
On awarding the tender, education cabinet secretary Jacob Kaimenyi had said that the deal to award Olive the tender was good business for both sides.
" It is a win win for both the government and Olive, he had said, whilst querying reports of irregularities in the tendering process.
Observers expect that Hewlett and Packard and Haier technologies, both big players in the industry, will get the chance to supply the laptops.
The first roll-out phase for the laptops had been expected to be in April this year.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.