High court orders AG to act on KNHCR impasse
17 December 2013, 15:26
Nairobi - The High court may have to bypass Attorney General Githu Muigai
and give its judgment on the fate of the interviews for the Kenya National Commission on Human
Rights top brass.
Judge Isaac Lenaola said so Monday, while urging the AG to try and file a response to the suit challenging the interviewing
"It’s a national crisis, in view of urgency, this
matter be heard on January 3, 2014, in the meantime the AG should file a
response by that date and if there is none, a judgment should be given,"
Justice Lenaola said.
Justice Lenaola also said that because the petition remains
unopposed since it was certified urgent on October 17, the interim order
stopping the interviews from being held are extended.
In the suit questioning the shortlisting criteria which was
termed as unfair, an earlier defied request to the AG to respond had been given
The National Human Rights body was blocked from
conducting interviews to fill the top vacancies with claims that it was tainted
Brian Weke and Japheth Muroko, the petitioners allege that
three interviews had already been conducted by the selection team yet the
outcome had not yielded politically-correct individuals desired by the
They further allege that the interviews were an attempt to
have them conducted for the fourth time which amounted to rejection of the list
of nominees, whose role is exclusively reserved for the National Assembly.
"There are short-listed candidates who have been
interviewed three times and need to know their fate. This is taxpayers’ money
being used for these sittings, "their lawyer Anthony Oluoch had told
They claimed that the yardstick used to short-list
candidates violated the law that set up the commission.
They also claimed an advertisement of short-listed
candidates was carried out only two days before the scheduled interview day and
that it came after a notice had already been issued.
It is their argument that it will be premature to
re-advertise for fresh applications since the process had already been
concluded and Parliament is waiting for the names of the successful candidates
for formal appointment.
However the commission has denied the claims and maintained
that the proper procedure was used in arranging for the interviews.
The two had sought orders to block AG from seeking new
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.