Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 
PLEASE NOTE:

MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

 
 
Latest Badges:

 
View all oduoromondi's badges.
 

Probe into collapsed building launched

23 January 2013, 15:00Oduor Omondi

The government has dispatched a special team of investigators to Kisumu to investigate the collapse of a five storey building that killed nine people last week.

Public Works Minister Chris Obure said the officers mandate will be to unravel the cause of the collapse.

The team will also come up with preventive measures that can be taken to avert such occurrences in the future.

It will also advise on disciplinary measures to be taken on those found culpable.

Obure noted that the construction law passed by parliament will be applied on the latter saying those found responsible for the deaths will face the full wrath of the law or pay hefty fines.

“We had no law to apply when such tragedies occurred in the past, but these days we have teeth because Parliament passed a law that regulates the construction industry,” he said.

The minister passed his condolences to the bereaved families and wished those injured quick recovery.

Speaking in Kisumu, Obure further warned developers against using sub-standard materials when carrying out projects and urged them to be mindful of the safety of the public and their workers.

The government’s move comes hot on the heels of a damning revelation by the National Construction Authority that it had not certified the construction of the five storey building.

The association has instead shifted blame to the Municipal Council of Kisumu accusing it of failing to ensure that the building complied with set regulations.

 
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.
NEXT ON NEWS24 KENYAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government raises County funds to...

County governments will now receive KES 226.7 billion, representing 43 % of the national revenue according to a new law signed by President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...

Submitted by
KISIKA SAMUEL
Mobile Phone Company CEOs warned ...

The Information, Communication and Technology Cabinet Secretary, Fred Matiang’i has warned CEOs of mobile phone services against activating unregistered Sim-cards. Read more...

Submitted by
Arap Yego
KES50m loan scheme launched by Bu...

The county government has begun the disbursement of KES50 million that it had set aside to support micro and small enterprises in each of the 45 wards in the region. Read more...

Submitted by
#Paul
Counties getting 40 percent would...

Counties have been introduced to Kenyans through the constitution and they are meant to bring government closer to the people. Read more...

Submitted by
Mbungu Harrison
County embraces on local tourism,...

The county executive Joab Tumbo has said the government has the potential to make the domestic tourism a success citing concerns of insecurity. Read more...

Submitted by
Jonsey
Nyeri TNA Majority Leader removed...

TNA Majority Leader in Nyeri County Assembly, Anthony Kibuu has was Wednesday hounded out of office by party members under controversial circumstances. Read more...