Government will appeal ruling on digital migration
31 March 2014, 17:07
Nairobi - The government will appeal the ruling last week which saw the cancellation of distribution and frequency licences of a Chinese company.
The ruling by the High court, revoked the license handed to Chinese company Star Times to distribute frequencies to local media houses.
The government had been unwavering in its stance on the licences, saying it will not at any cost allow local media houses have the licences.
But the ruling last Friday said it was unfair for only one specific company to have the distribution license and forced the government to hand the other interested media houses the license.
It further meant that the date for migration has been pushed to September to allow media houses and Kenyans be ready for the switch.
Speaking on Monday, information cabinet secretary Fred Matiang'i did confirm that the government would seek an appeal over the matter.
" An appeal is on the cards. We are currently weighing our options over what to do, he said.
He did not reiterate further on what the government was planning to do but sources inside the ministry said that there would be an argument on the distribution licenses.
The case on digital migration has been sponsored by three media houses, Nation Media Group, Standard Media Group and Royal Media Services.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.