Government threatens arrest warrants for drunk drivers
22 January 2014, 16:10
Nairobi - Transport and Infrastructure Cabinet Secretary, Eng. Michael Kamau has given an arrest notice to 27 drivers who failed to appear in court after they were caught drunk driving.
Kamau said the identified drivers have failed to appear in court after undergoing the alcoblow test that showed they had exceeded the allowed alcohol content.
"I would like to remind the 27 drunk drivers that their names will be published in the daily newspapers on Friday, January 24 for arrest," warned Kamau.
"When drivers are caught driving under the influence of alcohol, their details are noted down by officers on duty, allowed to go home with a sober person's help and then asked to appear in court on a certain date," he added.
Kamau stated that since the initiation of safety campaigns last year, the Ministry has realized remarked progress in reducing road carnage.
For instance, he noted that between 1st and 20th January this year, his Ministry has recorded 182 deaths resulting from road accidents compared to 263 deaths in the same period last year, a 31% reduction.
"I would like to assure Kenyans that these road safety campaign measures have borne fruit since many drivers have complied with the regulations leading to such huge decrease," said Kamau.
Kamau was addressing the press upon receiving five speed guns worth KES 6.38 million donated by Dalbit Petroleum Limited to the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA).
He stated that the donation is a great manifestation of the Kenyan spirit of coming together to overcome road carnage, the greatest challenge facing the nation.
"It is worth noting that these five speed gun cameras worth KES 6.38 million is the highest donation that we have received from any corporate this far and it is indeed commendable. We are soon going to receive another alcoblow donation worth KES 1 million from a Kenyan company, DL Group Ltd," stated Kamau.
He urged any individual groups or companies willing to support the government's endeavor in reducing road carnage to make their contribution either morally or financially.
Dalbit Petroleum Limited Corporate Affairs Director, Margaret Mbaka stated that the Company was moved by the Ministry's effort in road safety campaign thus felt the need to chip in.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.