Gang-rape case fails to proceed at a Busia court
25 March 2014, 14:36
Busia - A case involving a youth who was allegedly among six suspects who gang-raped a pupil in June 26, 2013 in Busia County failed to proceed at a Busia Court Monday.
Before Senior Principal Magistrate Mary Wambani, the court heard that the suspect needed more time to raise money to pay his lawyer.
The suspect, who is a student at a school in Funyula, said that he was not able to pay his advocate who never turned up at the court. In addition, he urged the court to allow him to proceed with his examinations which he said are scheduled to start on Wednesday.
The suspect, who is out on bond of KES15 000 was arrested in November last year and accused of causing bodily harm to the girl.
At the time of the incident, the girl who was a standard seven pupil was thrown into a pit latrine by the suspects who allegedly committed the crime and was rescued by villagers.
The case was postponed to April 8, 2014.
The girl is still being treated at the gynocare fistula center in Eldoret.
Other five suspects are still at large.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.