Fire guts 4 siblings in Othaya
10 February 2014, 10:23
Othaya - Four children of the same family died Sunday evening in a fire incident in Othaya, Nyeri County.
The children, among them twin boys, had been left behind by their parents who had gone to church around 3.30pm when the five-room timber house caught fire.
The children, aged between two and six, were burnt beyond recognition. Nothing was salvaged during the incident.
The family has now been left with only one child who is two-months-old girl who was with their mother, Rose Mugure in church which is a kilometre away from the home.
Their father, Ayub Kaara who is a preacher at Heroes of Faith Church had gone to preach at the neighbouring Mukurwe-ini County.
Nyeri South boss, Adiel Nyange told journalists at the scene that the cause of the fire could not be immediately established.
Shocked residents jammed the home after the incident.
Efforts to put off the fire were fruitless as there is no fire extinguisher in Othaya town according to a neighbour David Wanyagia.
"It was a tragic incident as there was a generator with diesel inside the house when it caught fire," said Wanyagia noting that the power was also on.
The charred remains were removed to Mukurwe-ini District Hospital mortuary for postmortem.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.