Farmer counting losses as 14 cattle are electrocuted
27 April 2015, 16:08
Kwale - A farmer at Tiwi area in Matuga, Kwale County, is counting losses after his cattle were electrocuted.
Rashid Mwakutengeza lost four cows, eight goats and two sheep while taking his herd for grazing on Thursday.
“I have incurred an estimated loss of KES 180 000,” he said.
Speaking to journalists on Saturday, Mwakutengeza said that the incident occurred around 8:00 am while he was talking them to Sand Island cottages area.
“I heard a loud bang followed by a smell of burning meat and smoke. I saw some of the cattle fall down dead while others ran way and realized something was wrong,” he said.
Mwakutengeza was lucky to escape the tragedy which saw his 14 of his animals dead.
“I realized that electric wires had fallen on my cattle and that is why some of them were electrocuted,” he noted.
Read Also: Kenya Power employees electrocuted
The farmer said he usually uses the route to take his livestock for grazing and was shocked to see them being electrocuted.
Several livestock escaped the tragedy including four goats and three cows.
He said the incident is the first to happen in the area for his livestock.
Mwakutengeza said he had engaged Kenya power officials on the issue and was assured of receiving compensation.
“Kenya power officials came and took some photographs and promised that I should wait as procedures for compensation are being followed,” he noted.
Efforts to reach Kenya power officials in the area were futile as their calls went unanswered by the time of going to the press.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.