Families identify bodies of 28 massacred in Mandera bus
23 November 2014, 18:36
Nairobi - Members of family of the 28 people killed in the Mandera bus attack begun the painful process of identifying the bodies of their loved ones.
The bodies were flown into Nairobi late Saturday and relatives were allowed the chance to identify their loved ones Sunday at the Chiromo mortuary in Westlands.
The Kenya Red Cross set up counselling tents to help members of the dead cope with the loss of their loved ones and the sight that awaited them in the mortuary.
The process was made tougher by the fact that the dead had been shot in the eye which meant that their faces were badly disfigures.
James Ojenge, who was at the mortuary to identify the body of his cousin Patrick Ouma Ouko who was killed in the attack said that it was difficult to identify the bodies.
Read also: Police response too slow in the wake of Al Shabaab attack
" It is a terrible sight for all of us. The bodies are badly disfigured. It is really hard to deal with, he told News24.
By the time of going to press, only one body had yet to be identified with collection of bodies for burial set to begin at the start of the new week.
The bus traveling to Nairobi with 60 passengers was hijacked at dawn Saturday, with close to 100 gunmen ordering persons out of the bus and shooting them dead if they did not recite Islamic verses.
Al Shabaab militia have already taken credit for the killings.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.