Drug addicts in Kwale decry shortage of heroine
03 September 2015, 12:57
Kwale - Drug addicts in Kwale County are fearing for their lives after going without heroine for three days since the government launched an operation to arrest drug dealers in the region.
Many of the addicts said that lack of the substance puts their lives at risk, with most of them opting to stay at home for fear of being arrested.
Speaking to journalists Wednesday at Teens watch rehabilitation center, where the addicts went to seek assistance, Peter Mutua, Ali Malingi and Said Kamili said they were suffering from withdrawal syndrome.
Peter Mutua said he has been using heroine for the last 25 years to reduce stress as he tries to come to terms with his HIV/AIDs status.
He said since the government launched the crackdown on drug barons and peddlers in the area, they have not been able to get the substance.
“We are asking President Uhuru Kenyatta to help us get methadone which he promised us because heroine is no longer available," he said.
He said it is not their fault to be heroine addicts since it is imported by drug barons.
Read Also: Police nab 200 suspected drug traffickers in Mombasa
“If urgent measures are not taken, many of us will die due to withdrawal syndrome because heroine is not there and methadone as well. I am vomiting and have diarrhea,” he added.
His sentiment were echoed by Ali Malingi who said he has been using heroine for 22 years saying that they are ready to stop using it through the government support.
“Arresting and taking us to cells amounts to killing which is not a solution. We are suffering and in need of help,” he noted.
This comes after police arrested 23 suspected drug peddlers with bhang and heroine in different parts of Kwale County since the campaign started.
Matuga OCPD, Patrick Oduma said they have so far recovered half a sack of bhang whose value is not yet known.
“We are not going to leave any drug baron or peddler behind even if they are from the same family. We are going to do what we did at Maganyakulo where we arrested mother and son who were found with bhang in their house,” he said.
He said the suspects will be taken to court after investigations are through as the operation continues in all parts of the county.
Most of the suspects arrested are said to be from Maganyakulo, Diani, Shimoni, Kwale town, Msambweni, Lungalunga and Ng’ombeni.
Cabinet secretary for interior, Joseph Inkaissery on Monday assured that drug addicts who will surrender will not be victimized.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.