Dormitory razed as power generator explodes
11 October 2015, 18:13
Nanyuki - A group of 30 students at Doldol Boys High School in Laikipia County have escaped death by whisker after their dormitory caught fire on Sunday.
The fire was caused by a power generator which exploded during testing.
According to the school principal, Lawrence Kariuki, the dormitory was burnt to ashes as nothing was salvaged including the students’ properties.
Nobody was injured during the incident, Kariuki said, adding that the fire was put out by students and non-staff members.
“The school power generator was being tested since it has not been used for several months. We suspect it developed mechanical problems and thus caused the fire. We are counting huge loses,” said Kariuki.
The incident occurred as Form Four students are at homestretch preparing for their final examinations.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.