DP Ruto instructs lawyers to sue CORD leaders
24 October 2014, 13:04
Nairobi - Deputy President William Ruto has ordered his lawyers to sue 5 CORD leaders over comments linking him to grabbing a piece of land in Karen Nairobi.
Ruto was named in a dossier by five CORD leaders last week which linked him to a piece of land in Karen which has allegedly been grabbed.
Ruto and other leaders including Lands Secretary Charity Ngilu, Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero and Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko were among names released by the CORD leaders last week as being among the land grabbers in the 134 acre KES 8 billion prime piece of land.
The DP has thus instructed his lawyers to sue the said leaders in seven days time if they do not offer an apology or retraction to their statement.
" As a result of the publication and broadcast of the contents of the statement, our client has been greatly injured in his credit, status and reputation," Ruto’s lawyers Kilukumi and Company said in a letter Friday.
Ruto has already denied ownership or awareness of the property that is the subject of an ownership row before the High Court in Nairobi saying he has no knowledge of ownership of the land.
Read also: Raila says Ngilu 'chief land grabber'
" Our client neither owns a single inch of the land in question nor is he involved in any manner whatsoever with the disputed parcel of land . Furthermore, our client neither knows of its status : private or public nor its history or acquisition or allocation," the letter added.
The five CORD leaders who read the statement are Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale, Siaya Senator James Orengo, Machakos Senator Johnstone Muthama, nominated Senator Elizabeth Ongoro, and Suna East MP Junet Mohammed.
They have already been summoned by the Ethics Commision to hand in any evidence on the matter and have said they will appear next week to hand in evidence.
Other leaders named in the scam like Sonko have already denied involvement in the piece of land.
" The fact that I have been there does not mean I want the land. I am there to protect interests of some of the parties involved, he has already said.
Currently, the piece of land is under police custody awaiting the Court ruling over the piece of land that is being contested by two Nairobi businessmen.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.