Contradiction over number of Turkana dead
06 May 2015, 13:52
Nairobi - There is contradiction galore over the number of people killed in inter tribal attacks in Turkana, with the Red Cross stating 54 have died and police arguing none have.
The contradiction has caused Kenyans to react with anger over the government's don't care attitude towards the attacks.
The Red Cross stated Wednesday that 54 people had been killed in the attacks which took place in Nadome area between the Turkana and West Pokot border.
" After a long trek to the scene, our team on the ground has reported 54
people dead. Five critical cases (have been) evacuated to hospital," The Red Cross stated on its Twitter handle.
However, Police on the other hand have played dumb with their figures, with some stating that no people had died in the attacks.
" We are still combing the area but so far we have not seen any people dead," An Administration Police boss told News24 on phone from the area.
" The figures on the ground state that we have no bodies recovered, thus no dead," he added.
The statement firmly contradicts that of Rift Valley Regional Coordinator Osman Warfa who said Tuesday that 44 people had been killed.
" 44 people have been killed and we hear there could be more but we will wait and see from our people on the ground," he stated.
The area has been affected over the years by bandit attacks which have been caused by the communities haggling over dwindling pastures and water holes.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.