Candle flame suffocates 2 to death
10 June 2013, 11:45
A couple perished over the weekend in a fire incident near Mukurwe-ini town in Nyeri County.
Ndegwa Mwangi and his wife Jane Wanjiku who are both health workers died after fire broke out in their residential home.
Their son Ephraim Mwangi, 22, is admitted at Nyeri provincial General Hospital in critical condition.
A watchman, Waithaka Kahuru, who guards the houses said Mwangi arrived at the house late at night and lit a candle since there was no electricity but in the morning around 6am on Sunday, smoke was seen billowing from the house.
He alerted the neighbours who broke the windows and helped put the fire off.
Neighbours said the candle might have caused the fire suffocating the two who were in their early 50s to death.
Police arrived at the scene and rushed them to Mukurwe-ini District Hospital but were declared on arrival to the hospital.
Shocked neighbours who jammed the home in the morning upon receiving the bad news said the houses, which are owned by Nyeri County Council, have poor ventilation.
Mukurwe-ini Sub County Commissioner Isaac Masinde said police are investigating the matter.
Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.