Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

View all Manasseh's badges.

Kaimenyi summoned over Form I selection

05 February 2014, 09:09 Joseph Njung’eh

Nyeri - A High Court judge has summoned Education Cabinet Secretary, Jacob Kaimenyi and Principal Secretary, Dr. Richard Belio Kipsang over alleged faulty Form one selection in Nyeri County.

The two senior government officials are expected to appear in court on Wednesday February 5.

The order by Justice James Wakiaga followed a suit that was filed by Nyeri County government as it sought to halt admission of Form one students to all the extra-county schools in the county halted, until the suit is heard and determined.

Through lawyer Wahome Gikonyo, the County government claimed that the County did not get the 60 percent of the slots they are legally entitled to across all the 14 extra-County schools.

In the suit, the Cabinet Secretary and his Principal Secretary are accused of abetting the flawed selection process, which gave the lion's share of the Form one places in the extra-County schools to outsiders, leaving out Nyeri students who had performed well.

“Nyeri County gave out 1 570 admissions in extra-County schools but only 320 of our students were admitted outside the County,” the lawyer said.

“It was discrimination against the legitimate expectations of the students and their parents who sacrificed immensely to put up the schools,” he added.

He further said that the selection process was not based on merit as two students with as low as 219 and 211 marks have been admitted to South Tetu Girls and Nyeri High School respectively.

Wahome lamented that the ministry had ignored letters written by Governor Nderitu Gachagua raising alarm on the same issue.

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...