Businessman held over theft of 149 sacks of maize
31 March 2015, 11:02
Bungoma - Police in Mbakalu Ward, Tongaren Constituency are holding two suspects alleged to have stolen and sold 149 sacks of maize seeds that was meant to help the poor.
The suspects, a ward manager and a businessman whose identity was not divulged to the press, are being held as police officers carry on with investigation to nab more accomplices.
Tongaren OCPD Eliud Okello confirmed that the duo will be arraigned in a Kimilili court once investigation is complete.
“We are currently holding two suspects and my officers are pursuing their accomplices who fled after word went round that they were being sought, a few individuals can't be benefiting when poor farmers are suffering,” said Okello.
He said the incident happened on the night of 25 March and police officers arrested the duo in their hideout Monday and will be charged for conspiring to steal.
The businessman was found with 49 sacks during the arrest, he had already sold 100 sacks.
Mbakalu Ward Rep Bethwel Mwambu called for thorough investigation and arrest of other suspects who stole the maize seeds that had been distributed by the county government to benefit widows, persons with disabilities and the poor farmers.
“We go outside to source for resources to help our people but few individuals use tricks to reap from where they have not sown, let the law take its cause,” said Mwambu.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.