Bungoma County Commissioner lauds harsh sentence on robbers
15 May 2014, 14:38
Bungoma - Bungoma County Commissioner, Maalim Mohamed has lauded a judgment by a court in the area that sentenced six people to life imprisonment for hacking a woman with machetes and robbing her.
Bungoma Principal Resident, Peter Ireri on Tuesday last week handed the harshest sentence to the six offenders for hacking Rukia Naskanda at Lunao Village in Bumula Constituency in April 2013, and stealing KES 5 000 from her.
Addressing a press conference at his office on Wednesday, Mohamed said the harsh punishment will be a deterrent to marauding gangs that have terrorized and maimed innocent Bungoma county residents.
“The courts and Judiciary have in the recent past been condemned for being lax and lenient on offenders, but this is good news. The ruling has sent a strong message to other people who intend to commit crimes or terrorize members of the public that they will not take advantage of the loopholes in the system to carry out their heinous acts,” he said.
The county commissioner stressed that no government arm can work in isolation especially in fighting crime, and appealed for more co-operations and close working relationship.
Mohamed at the same time assured the county residents that the region is safe and they should not be worried about their own safety or that of their property.
“We have intensified police patrols and all our police stations in the county have been equipped with vehicles. Response to alarms is now prompt and the residents have no reason to worry,” said the administrator.
He revealed that security agents have arrested major suspects involved in criminal activities in the county which hit the news headlines recently, and they are continuing with investigations.
“We have arrested four people we believe were accomplices of a man that killed a woman and her three daughters about three weeks ago in Wekelekha Village in Bumula. We also have arrested two people who were part of a group that terrorized residents of Malaha Village in Webuye East sub-County. They will be appearing in court soon after we are through with investigations,” said Mohamed.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.