Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

View all Ann Muigai's badges.

Being Creative: Are we born with it or is it a skill?

02 October 2015, 17:01 Ann Muigai

Nairobi - Creative thinking is a concept that many people fail to relate to, either because they have no idea what it is exactly, how it comes about, or merely ignore it as just another fad.

In creative thinking, we are required to craft ways to handle certain situations, or to make connections between seemingly unrelated ideas. The perception amongst many people is that creative thinking is inbuilt in some while others are simply born without it! Pose, latest research shows that our biology determines about 22 percent of our creative ability. The remaining 78 percent is determined by the environment, education, and practice. In essence, all of us are born with some degree of creativeness, the rest, we develop through interest and as strained by forces from without like challenging situations.

It is common to hear people say, “I’m just not the creative type” or “you know creativity is just not me." Yes, some people are more creative than others, depending on exposure and experiences. But all of us have it in us, and all we need to do every so often is to think beyond our usual. We can train to be creative enough, by attempting to handle situations instead of asking other people that we deem as more creative to do it for us.

Sometimes we are unable to face our fears and problems just because we think we are not creative enough. But how exactly do we become more creative?

Do this practically and use a real situation you are facing. Try to constrain yourself to limited resources and time. Mark out the shortest time possible you need to come up with a solution. You will be amazed at how creative you can become.

Write your ideas down while at it. I have realized that writing down ideas helps me develop and advance ideas that I already have. You can do the same and each time, it will amaze you how this technique can help you become more creative.

Enjoy the simple things in life; nature, relationships, and circumstances. The most creative people seem to have something in common; they love to appreciate their natural environment, and they recognize and value the simple blessings in life family and friends. When you start being content, your mind is at ease, and you can be as creative as it ever was.

Finally, as always when I write to you, embrace a positive frame of mind. Psychology experts say that we tend to think more creatively when we are happy. It is much easier to connect ideas and develop them when we are positive. On the contrary, negative thought trains cause sadness and anxiety, two of the top barriers to creative thinking.

It is important to know that high creativity takes time to nature. Take small baby steps each time, and in the end, you will be a more creative being than you ever thought you could be.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- MyNews24

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...