Barasa ICC arrest warrant stands, Judges say
10 September 2015, 21:30
Nairobi - A warrant of arrest placed against journalist Walter Barasa by the International Criminal Court ICC still stands, trial judges in DP William Ruto and journalist Joshua Sang's case have said.
Barasa has been seeking to have the warrant declared a summon but the judges said Thursday that his alleged interference with prosecution witnesses is too grave a concern for them to chalk off the warrant.
" The warrant against the accused remains in force," the statement read in part.
Barasa has been wanted by the ICC for over a year after being accused of trying to influence witnesses not to testify against DP Ruto and his co accused Joshua Sang at the ICC.
He has tried his best to fight off the warrant in Kenya but has failed to do so and is wanted to explain events linking him to the said charges.
Barasa has always declared his innocence and stated two weeks ago that he had nothing to hide other than try protect his name.
" I have nothing to hide and I believe that I am very innocent but I still have to protect my name and my family in this situation," he said of the saga.
The ICC recently allowed use of recanted statements of 6 witnesses used stating that there was widespread belief that witnesses had been coerced into either refusing to testify or changing their testimonies.
Ruto and Sang's teams have already stated that they will appeal the decision.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.