Bandits defy Nkaissery’s order to surrender weapons
30 March 2015, 12:04
Nakuru - Members of Endorois community residing in various parts of Baringo South constituency that has bore the brunt of armed bandits have threatened to find their own ways of protecting themselves from attacks by suspected Pokot raiders, if the government does not protect them.
Addressing the press in Nakuru on Sunday, the Endorois Welfare Council (EWC) secretary Kipruto Kimosop and the National Council of NGOs Wilson Kipkazi, blamed the government over the attacks.
“We are now rethinking as a community and as people of Baringo if actually we are part of this government. If we are not, then they should tell us, we would rather stay officially in the opposition than in the government and suffer," said Kipkazi.
This followed continuous raids that have left eleven public schools closed and over 10000 people displaced from their homes in areas such as Chebinyiny and Arabal.
“The government must urgently commence rigorous forceful disarmament of all the bandits in these areas and all the firearms in the hands of civilians to be mopped up forthwith,” said Kimosop.
A few weeks after taking over as Internal Affairs Cabinet Secretary, Joseph Nkaissery issued an ultimatum to those in possession of illegal firearms in North Rift to hand them back, an ultimatum that expired on 12 March and nothing has been done.
“The latest is the ultimatum that was given by Nkaissery to the effect that a rigorous disarmament was going to be undertaken after one week which expired on 12 March, 2015 and there has not been any action. It is actually two weeks since the expiry of the ultimatum,” added Kimosop.
Also read: Kimaiyo issues stern warning to bandits
The community also wants illegal occupants who have invaded Arabal location to be arrested and charged with trespass, forceful eviction of residents, theft, robbery with violence and murder.
They say cases of insecurity are high in the region and the government should quickly intervene to assure them of their safety.
Kimosop said it is very disappointing that no action has been taken by the government to provide them with enough security despite raising their concerns.
On his part, Kipkazi asked the government to be considerate and balanced when profiling affected families, saying so far, government agencies have not provided basic needs to the families.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.