Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

Arrest officers who used live bullets in Narok, says CORD

29 January 2015, 18:10 William Korir

Nairobi - Officers who used live bullets in the chaos in Narok should be prosecuted, the opposition CORD coalition has said.

The coalition has said that the use of the live bullets and excessive force by police was the real cause behind the chaos that has engulfed the town since Monday.

So far, 2 people have been killed in the chaos.

Senator Stephen Ole Ntutu and 4 MPs have today been charged with the violence that has hit the region, with police stating that they are behind the violence that took place.

But CORD in a statement Thursday, said that the government was behind the violence because they used excessive force.

" We take great exception to the violence witnessed in Narok County in the Monday peaceful demonstration. We are demanding that action must be taken against those who authorised the use of live bullets against innocent Kenyans, whose only fault was to demand for accountability from their elected leaders," a statement read by Tongaren MP David Eseli said.

They also took exception to the stance taken by the government which has centered on the violence instead of the governance issues at hand.

" We are deeply concerned at the tendency by the Jubilee regime to refuse to provide leadership in situations of conflict and resort to violence as a solution. The right to picket and to protest is protected by the Constitution," he added.

Narok Senator Stephen Ole Ntutu and 4 MPs have been released on a KES 500,000 bond each as they await charges for the violence that has taken place in the county.

The five officials, all from Narok were charged for their role in demonstration in Narok Monday which led to the death of two people and injuries to many others.

The Director of Public Prosecutions DPP had insisted that the 5 not be released until investigations are complete due to their bad and dangerous behaviour.

The DPP also argued that the four would increase tensions in the region if they are released.

The four though argued for their release and were ordered to deposit the money, as well as report to the Muthaiga Police Station every Monday until the case is over.

Ntutu together with MPs Moitalel ole Kenda, Jonah Ng'eno, Kolei Olememei and Patrick Ntutu were detained by the CID Wednesday evening for their part in the illegal demonstrations over apparent misappropriation of funds by the Narok County Governor.

2 people were confirmed dead in the demonstrations that eventually turned violent.

The MPs and Ntutu had been asked by Interior CS Joseph Nkaissery to head to the CID and record statements over the demonstrations that had been declared illegal by his office and the police.

They did so Wednesday and recorded statements at the Muthaiga Police Station and despite openly availing themselves, were detained for further investigations.

Tension has gripped Narok town after the area leaders defied the government’s ban on rallies and demonstrations and staged a demo in the town.

Senator Ntutu lead other legislators and residents from the County in storming the governor’s office over allegations of misappropriation of funds collected from the Maasai Mara Game Reserve by the county government.  

Ntutu said that the demonstrations would go on as they are not a threat to the security but they rather want to present a petition to the governor Kuntai ole Tunai.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- MyNews24

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...