Abducted man still missing six days later
11 September 2015, 09:10
Nyandarua - A family in Ol-Joro Orok Township in Nyandarua County living in agony after one of their members was abducted under unclear circumstances six days ago.
42-year-old Johnson Kinyua was kidnapped by unknown people last Friday near Suera Service Station along the Nyahururu-Nairobi highway, 6 km from Nyahururu town.
His wife, Esther Wanjiku said that her husband was on his way from Nyeri where they had gone to visit their ailing aunt in the company of other family members when he was abducted.
“Our vehicle was stopped by a personal car at around 7:20 pm, and three men came out claiming there was an Al-Qaeda suspect in our vehicle. We were asked to produce our identity cards and it was then that my husband was whisked away,” recalled Wanjiku.
She said that Kinyua was bundled in the suspects' car before it drove off at a high speed.
The family gave a chase to the vehicle to Ol-Joro Orok trading centre where his elder brother, Jackson Wang'ombe reported the incident to the police.
Wanjiku said no action was taken as the officers on duty reportedly claimed that their phone had no airtime to call the nearby Ol-Kalou police station so that the runaway vehicle could be apprehended.
Read Also: Kidnap suspect who disguises as a female arrested
The agonizing wife recounted how they have been shuttling to Nyahururu and Ol-Joro orok police stations over the incident but were yet to get any relevant information on her husband’s whereabouts.
She further noted that they were yet to receive any call from the suspects demanding a ransom to secure his release, saying this was worsening their worries further.
The family is now calling on the government to intervene and assist in searching for their missing relative.
They also wondered why the farmer and father of three was kidnapped, claiming he had been in conflict with anyone.
However, while confirming the incident, Nyandarua North DCIO Kavete Kulova noted that in a similar incident recently, a man was nabbed by Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) officers who suspected him to be a poacher.
Kulova said that in December 2013, the abductee had been arrested and charged at a Nakuru Court for poaching related offenses but the case was dropped as police could not avail details of the case.
The DCIO told reporters in his office that the family has already reported the matter to his office on what transpired during the material day and police were still investigating the matter though nobody has been arrested yet.
He said that it was reported that a grey Subaru vehicle registration number KBE 769W, had blocked them along the road and ordered the passengers to produce their IDs.
“Searching for the vehicle involved has been difficult as information shows that the registration number provided belongs to a Tuk Tuk,” added Kulova.
He noted that investigations were underway to establish those behind the kidnapping adding that the officers were treating the matter with the seriousness it deserved but also described that matter as confusing due to the earlier case where the victims were charged with poaching.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.