6 Kenyans died in Mecca, 9 missing
29 September 2015, 14:40
Nairobi - The Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims SUPKEM says that 6 Kenyans died in the stampede in Mecca last week.
The stampede, which is estimated to have accounted for the lives of 717 pilgrims.
SUPKEM now says that 6 Kenyans died and 9 are missing after the disaster.
This contradicts an earlier statement by the government saying that only 3 Kenyans had died.
" We have confirmed 6 dead and 9 missing," SUPKEM said in a statement Tuesday.
The Foreign Affairs Ministry was not available for comment when reached by News24 over the matter.
The Saudi Arabian government has been blamed for the incident saying that if prior planning was injected, the accident could have been avoided.
According to Saudi authorities though, the problem was caused by overzealous pilgrims keen to attend the stoning of the devil in Mina.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.