50 youths arrested preparing to take Mungiki oath
28 May 2015, 13:20
Nakuru - Police in Nakuru County have raised concerns over the possible re-emergence of the outlawed Mungiki sect after tens of youths were arrested Wednesday while preparing to take an oath inside Bahati forest.
Bahati OCPD, Duncan Nguthu said that over 50 young men were arrested inside the forest where they were carrying out traditional rituals.
Speaking to the press Thursday morning in Nakuru town, Nguthu said that police raided the forest after they received a tip from a resident who spotted the youths while grazing his cattle inside the forest.
Read Also: Police fire in the air to flush out Mungiki suspect
“Yesterday (Wednesday) we arrested 50 young men inside the Bahati forest where they were performing some traditional ritual rites and we suspect they are associated with the outlawed Mungiki sect but we are holding them before we present them in court today,” said Nguthu.
“The government has outlawed any activities of Mungiki and anyone found engaging in its activities will have to face full force of the law,” he added.
Just last week, area member of parliament Kimani Ngunjiri had expressed fears over the resurgence of the outlawed sect and asked police to investigate the issue.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.