Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

View all Paparazi's badges.

40 unclaimed bodies feasted by dogs to be reburied

21 August 2012, 16:55 James Kabotia

Laikipia East Public health officer has ordered an immediate exhumation and reburial of 43 unclaimed bodies in Nanyuki which were feasted by dogs after been buried in a shallow grave at a graveyard in Thingithu Estate.

Speaking at the scene at the public cemetery, Samson Marangu said that he had been informed by the Nanyuki mortuary that there were 47 unclaimed bodies in their morgue and that 43 of them were to be buried while 4 were to be taken to medical institutions for research.

Marangu who blamed the Nanyuki Municipal Council for burying the bodies at a shallow ground added that he will not wait for a court order to redo the process but insisted that there should be an immediate reburial because the scene was posing a health hazard to residents.

The Nanyuki mayor, Laikipia East OCPD and the District Public Health and Sanitation officer went to the scene today after Thingithu residents lamented that some of the bodies were being feasted by hungry dogs.

Laikipia East Police boss Joshua Lutukai said that the reburial process should be sped up because it is not only creating health hazards but also raising security concerns in the area.

“I was so surprised when I learnt from the local media that dogs could feast on humans due to poor burial process. A deep grave should be dug and they be reburied immediately”, said Lutukai.

The Mayor Councilor Isaac Mathenge however said that the graveyard had not filled up as there was half an acre left that can accommodate lots of bodies.

Mathenge said that he was unaware on how the burial process was conducted shoddily by his officials but promised that proper action and investigation will be done after the exhumation process.

“I’ll wait until the bodies are exhumed because that will fully determine whether the dogs are the ones which retrieved the bodies or the process was well done”,said the Mayor.

Mathenge assured that a deep grave is being dug and that this time he will inspect so as to know whether it will fit the 43 bodies.

A middle-aged man Evan Gitau told the press on Monday that he lost the well paying contract of burying the 43 bodies to some municipal council officials.

Gitau who claimed to have been working with the Nanyuki mortuary in the section of organizing and burying the unclaimed for 12 years said that he saw the council’s track driver and his colleague bury the bodies at the said cemetery.

“I have been doing this job for 12 years and I have never seen dead bodies being buried like charcoal. I saw some of the officials pour sand on them and shed tears”, said the irate Gitau.

The mayor confirmed that he has known Gitau for a very long time as a person who does his work diligently. Mathenge said that he did not find the reason as to why he was denied the contract.  

Residents of Thingithu Estate had woken to a rude shock on the Eid-Ul-Fitr holiday to see human bodies which were being scavenged by angry dogs at the cemetery which is sited behind Loise Girls Secondary School.

On Saturday, Nanyuki Municipal Council officials placed 40 bodies at one shallow dug portion of the yard and used a tractor to pour a hump of clay soil on them.

The residents termed the burial as inhumane and unhealthy to them since they have children who play around at the unfenced graveyard.

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...