3 confirmed dead in Mandera terror attack
13 March 2015, 16:21
Nairobi - Three people have been confirmed dead in a terror attack in Mandera that saw Governor Ali Roba's convoy attacked by suspected Al Shabaab militants.
The ambush took place Friday morning in Mandera as the Governor undertook a trip in the County together with police and local leaders.
It is suspected that the terrorists used a rocket propelled grenade launcher to attack the convoy.
Two vehicles were also set ablaze in the attack that occurred on Arabia-Omar road, according to police sources.
Police and the Kenya Defence Forces personnel were pursuing the
attackers who are said to have driven off one of the vehicles hijacked
during the attack.
" We are after them. We are confident we will catch up with them," the police source that spoke to News24 on phone from Mandera said.
Among the dead was a policeman, the source added.
Governor Roba was not injured in the attack.
The 3 other people who were injured in the attack were taken to local hospitals.
Terror group Al Shabaab took credit for the attack, but there was confusion after they stated that they had killed four Kenya Defence Forces KDF personnel in the same attack, an accusation denied by the KDF.
The attack is not the first on the Governor, having also escaped an attack in October last year also in Mandera.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.