25 families spend night in cold after fire
04 October 2016, 16:22
Nairobi - More than 25 families spent night in cold after fire gutted down their houses at Ngangarithi village in Nyeri town.
The fierce fire is said to have started at 12.00 midnight Monday in one of the rooms in the congested rental plot.
According to Sarah Nyambura, who is one of the affected, the fire was occasioned by electric fault adding that it was spreading fast to all houses.
“Immediately I saw the fire I rushed out with my two children and stood at a distant. Almost all households in the entire plot were burnt down. We were unable to save them since the fire was spreading very fast,” said Nyambura.
Residents blamed the County disaster response team since the fire brigade responded late and went to the scene without enough water.
Nobody was injured in the incident.
“It was a disappointment that fire fighters came with a small machine and with little water. They sprayed the water for less than ten minutes. They did not assist,” said Martin Gachuru who is a bodaboda operator.
Gachuru said the victims were forced to use tap water with buckets to put the fire off but their efforts were fruitless.
They asked the County Government to improve on its disaster preparedness to avert such incidents in order to save property and lives.
The affected families have received donations of non-food items from Kenya Red Cross society.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.