136 saved in Mandera attacks, says government
07 July 2015, 16:18
Nairobi - 136 people were saved by police in the Mandera attacks in which 14 people died, Interior CS Joseph Nkaissery has said.
Nkaissery confirmed that only 14 people died in the attack and that 136 others were saved thanks to quick intervention by security agencies.
" We were unlucky to lose 14 Kenyans but on the other hand, we saved 136 thanks to quick intervention from security agencies," he said Tuesday evening.
Al Shabaab militants claimed the attack that saw quarry workers ambushed.
The attack occurred just outside Mandera in the north-eastern region, which borders Ethiopia and war-torn Somalia, and comes a little more than two weeks before US President Barrack Obama is due to make his first presidential visit to Kenya.
"People were sleeping when the attack happened. They just came and hurled explosives into the houses," said Mandera County Commissioner Alex Ole Nkoyo.
Nkaissery said that there had been no intelligence on the attack but also stated that the country was on high alert in the face of attacks.
The Kenya Red Cross said it had took the 11 wounded to hospital, and had sent a medical aeroplane to evacuate the critically injured to Nairobi.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.