Woman burns in 'petrol panic'
02 April 2012, 14:14
LONDON - Britain's current fuel panic claimed its first casualty on Friday
when a woman suffered serious burns when petrol she had stored in her
home under government advice ahead of a possible strike ignited.
Firefighters said the woman involved in the fuel incident in the north-eastern city of York suffered 40% burns to her body.
Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said in a statement: "While decanting
petrol from one container to another the petrol ignited and set fire to
came two days after senior Cabinet member Francis Maude suggested that
motorists "take the sensible precaution" of filling jerry cans and
keeping them in the garage. The advice was later retraced after fire
authorities denounced it as dangerous and motoring organisations said it
would trigger panic buying. Which it did, big-time, of both jerry cans
The crisis eased slightly on Friday when Unite, the
union representing the tanker drivers, ruled out the threat of strikes
over Easter when millions of British holidaymakers usually hit the
Fuel retailers said fuel sales almost doubled on Thursday as drivers rushed to fill their vehicles.