Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Renault signs $1.3 bn joint venture deal with China's Dongfeng

16 December 2013, 16:21

Wuhan - French car-maker Renault signed a $1.3 billion joint venture agreement with China's Dongfeng Monday, finally ending a decade without a manufacturing presence in the world's biggest car market.

Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn described the project as a "strategic alliance".

"China has the biggest growth potential in the world," he said, adding: "Dongfeng has paramount knowledge of the Chinese market."

There were many opportunities in China, especially in developing electric vehicles, he said.

"This project is about exploring new frontiers. The challenge is big but we are ready and well-prepared."

The joint venture in Wuhan, in the central province of Hubei, is expected to start production in 2016 and will have an initial capacity of 150,000 vehicles a year.

Renault was the only global top 10 carmaker not to have a production plant in China.

It already has a partnership alliance with Nissan, and is the Japanese firm's biggest shareholder.

Dongfeng -- China's second-biggest carmaker, with sales of 3.08 million vehicles in 2012 -- has existing joint ventures with both Nissan and Renault's troubled French rival Peugeot.

But analysts say Nissan's sales are hit when diplomatic tensions mount between Beijing and Tokyo.

"I hope we're going to see a new success with Dongfeng-Renault," said the Chinese firm's president Xu Ping, adding that it "will help us to go global".

The project with Renault has been a decade in the making, after a previous unsuccessful joint venture by the French firm in China.

Renault began operations with China Space Sanjiang Group in 1993 to manufacture the Traffic minibus, but production stopped in 2003. Dongfeng and Renault have been in talks since then.

Total auto sales in China rose 4.3 percent year-on-year in 2012 to 19.31 million, and surpassed that figure in just the first 11 months of this year.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Natural aphrodisiacs to boost lib...

It is advisable to take them before sex in order to achieve maximum benefit. Read more...

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
Raila has lost his remaining bull...

He added that Jubilee and Cord are like day and night. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Mudavadi of no value to CORD, say...

Leader of Majority in National Assembly, Adan Duale has said that ANC leader Musalia Mudavadi is of no value to CORD. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth will not run for Pr...

He clarified that he will not run for Presidency in 2017 as he supports Uhuru Kenyatta’s re-election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Exams should not have political g...

He also said that school properties must not ‘carry any political portraits’. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Matatu crew drugs female passenge...

Hours after the story was circulated on social media Sunday, the crew was traced at Dagoretti and arrested. Read more...