Pirelli on cards for 2014 season
28 May 2013, 10:14
Monaco - Pirelli moves closer to inking a deal to stay in Formula 1 beyond 2013, following a meeting between Pirelli president Marco Tronchetti Provera and the sport's chief executive Bernie Ecclestone in Monaco.
Provera said: "We are approaching the conditions (to sign), so we'll see.
"The fact is that Bernie is happy with us and also our company is still interested in the F1 project, so I hope we can get to an agreement soon and all will be well."
Provera said he is proud of Pirelli's contribution to the sport so far: "We were asked to add more 'show' to the races, and I think the races are better now than before our arrival, so I think in that sense we have succeeded."
As for the controversy caused by Pirelli's heavily degrading compounds in 2013, he explained: "We have developed the tyres with a car several years old, and with not enough days of testing."
Meanwhile, it seems Pirelli will introduce some changes to its tyre design for the 2013 Canadian Grand Prix on June 9 after all, despite the opposition of some teams, including Force India.
Bernie Ecclestone is quoted by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport: "I did it like the old days. I told the teams that they should be united.
"Pirelli will modify its tyres as planned."