10 tips for first time used car buyers
30 October 2013, 01:21
Many of ours dream of owning a car, but not all can afford to walk to the dealer for a brand new ride, so we opt for the second-hand versions.
1. Be Cautious. Approach the car dealership like you approach a very appealing new date; carefully.
2. Do not rely on the dealer or the car owner to tell you the truth about the car or how you will finance the purchase. They have both been known to take others for a ride.
3. Never buy a car without checking out the cost of collision and liability. Avoid rare cars as you will have a nightmare looking for spare parts.
4. Never buy a car on your first visit to the dealer or car owner.
5. Never buy a used car, before it has been given the once-over by a trusted mechanic.
6. Compare the financing agreements from the dealer and enquire from your financial institution and compare and choose the best for you.
7. Do not put you car expense on your credit card.
8. Remember it is not the price of the car that is key. Be keen of the extra added costs that arise.
9. Window shop your options and take your time to identify the right car for you.
10. Insure your vehicle comprehensively, in case of accidents.
The writer is the Publisher and Managing Editor of Monthly MOTOR Magazine and an Auto-Engineer Consultant.