How to stop overeating
29 December 2015, 10:05
We’ve all done it at some point – overeat. And it happens for a range of different reasons: boredom, access to large volumes of tasty food and not having the ability to identify real hunger to mention a few. Unfortunately, far too many of us overeat on a daily basis and are gaining weight as a result. If you have had to undo the button on your pants after eating too much again then it may be time to find ways to take control of your food intake.
Top tips for avoiding overeating:
- If you really don’t want to eat it, don’t keep it in the house.
- Plan your meals and snacks so you do not get too hungry and more prone to overeat.
- Avoid smorgasbords and other ‘all you can eat’ places.
- Put leftovers away immediately.
- Eat lightly on the day you are planning to eat out.
- End your meal with something small and sweet.
- Go for a walk after meals to get out of the kitchen.
- Do not over shop; buy only what you need each week.
- Have a snack before you attend social occasions where food will be served.
- Quantify your hunger and aim to only eat when you are at 8 or 9 out of 10.