Banish those love handles!
21 March 2016, 08:26
A little beer, a little TV, some sour cream with your spud, and suddenly there’s a bulge like you’re growing biceps on each part of your waist.
Because your body is built for survival in the frozen tundra where there’s not always a chilled mammoth to chew on, it stores extra nutrition for when you’ll need it. That’s fine, except when the extra nutrition starts stretching your chinos or putting a bulge in your business suit.
Try these moves to target the love handles. Combine them with your usual aerobic and fat-burning workout.
- Standing side press. Using both hands, pick up a barbell, dumbbell or EZ-curl bar to shoulder height. It should be heavy enough that you need to balance your torso at an angle. With your palms facing inwards, lift it as far as you can. Swopping sides, do two sets of eight, then push to failure with the third set.
- Lateral raises. Find a gym bench or a solid surface at about knee height. Crouch next to it, with your left arm resting on it. Move your feet outwards, so you’re your torso is at a 45-degree angle to the floor. Keep your right foot on top of your let foot and cock your right hand to the side of your head. Now lower your left hip towards the floor and then raise it again. You should feel some tension in your side muscles. Do three sets of 15 on each side.
- Standing crunches. Stand with a dumbbell in each hand, feet shoulder width apart. Lean sideways, from the waist, then straighten up. Do three sets of 15 on each side.
The title of this piece is “three moves” but if you still have energy left after doing these three, try some oblique crunches. Work on three sets of 15, or to failure:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent, hands behind your head;
- Press your lower back to the floor, lift your upper back and gently curl it towards you opposite knee. Keep your stomach muscles contracted.
- Lower your body slowly.
Resist the urge to pull on your neck or to fling yourself forward. Rather do fewer reps and do them properly. (William Smook)