Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Potential penis transplant recipients 'not picky' over organ

12 June 2015, 08:05 Tammy Petersen, News24

Stellenbosch - Prior to the first penile transplant, the team of surgeons who led this ground-breaking operation faced criticism, funding issues and adversity from medical professionals who argued a penis is not a "necessary" organ.

However, Stellenbosch University urologist Professor Andre van der Merwe, who led the nine-hour surgery, said the success of the procedure has led to a flood of requests for assistance from men with penile problems. 

He was speaking at a public lecture on Thursday where academic research topics are discussed in a more understandable way for non-experts in the field.

Graphic photos taken before and during the surgery, and shown at the discussion, had some students shutting their eyes, wrinkling their noses and muttering expletives.

Read Also: Ways of dealing with rejection

Van der Merwe said potential recipients are so desperate for a penis they "are not picky" about details such as the size or colour.

For now, only people that have lost a penis due to complications resulting from ritual circumcision are considered for the operation, which the professor said was possible to complete in four hours.

The criteria may on a later stage be expanded to men who have lost their penis due to medical conditions or congenital abnormalities.

Applicants were screened to determine if they were psychologically stable to accept an organ and to determine if they would be able to comply with the programme, he said.

Van der Merwe also confirmed the 21-year-old recipient of the first transplant was about to become a father, an indication that the donated organ "is functioning".

"He is able to have sexual intercourse normally," the professor pointed out.

Future operations could take place as early as mid-August, he added.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- News24


Sex talk

25 October 2016, 19:44

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...