People to hold onto
21 November 2014, 09:09
Nairobi - Last week one of our contributors (contact us if you have the writing bug too!) listed a few types of men one should avoid for one’s own sanity.
After reading it, the sassy and clever @Mellefunk asked us to write a story about men who we SHOULDN’T run from.
Well… challenge accepted!
Although we shouldn’t just narrow it down to men. We’re all in the same boat, aren’t we? And certain qualities in people should be celebrated across the board.
So, without further ado, here is my personal list of people you should keep in your life:
• People who make you laugh. At them, at life, and most of all, at yourself.
• Those who tell you the uncomfortable truths. Be it about global warming, racial prejudice or your character flaws, these are the folks who keep you grounded and informed. Whether you want to be or not.
• Someone who can apologise properly. And who can accept a heartfelt, sincere apology. Because hey, we all make mistakes (some of us more than others) and we all need to be forgiven.
Also read: New apps help people avoid unwanted encounters
• The honest lot, who don’t use honesty as a weapon, but simply because they don’t care for lying.
• People who listen, without judging, because we all have different roads to walk in this world.
• And those who are patient. Because in a world with so much misunderstanding and unhappiness, maybe all we need is just a little patience.
The quality that is most important though, and which is so often overlooked and underrated, is kindness.
In a world where glamour, charm, intelligence, success and power are so obsessively valued, kindness isn’t sexy.
Thing is. It is. Kindness is what makes everything worth it.