Mom tries to comfort her kids as they burn to death
23 December 2014, 10:41
US: A mom who had reportedly left a mobile home to have a cigarette was confronted with a nightmare when her one of her sons closed the door to the home and a fire ignited inside, according to magicvalley.com.
She had been playing with one of her three sons, pushing the door backwards and forwards when her son closed it. Shortly afterwards she saw flames inside the trailer. She said she screamed for her daughter (also inside the home) to open the door and called for neighbours to help. One neighbour managed to smash a window and retrieve her daughter.
Although she attempted to reach her two sons, aged one and four, she couldn’t get to them. All she could do, reported neighbours, was to keep talking to them, telling them she loved them until she could no longer hear them.
A heater which was too close to belongings is suspected to have ignited the blaze which lasted for only twelve minutes.
The community has rallied to support the grieving mom and her daughter and they’re receiving relief from aid agencies as they have lost everything. The father of the children is a prison inmate.
Fire safety is especially important during summer, and it’s important for parents to ensure that their homes and the places where they will go on holiday are fire-safe and that their children are aware of what to do in the event of a fire.
If you’re going on holiday, make sure you know the contact details for local emergency services and remove any potential fire hazards from garden/inside the dwelling.
When lighting braais or fires for cooking, always ensure that you have a fire bucket of sand to extinguish the flames and remind your kids not to play with fire.
Check any gas equipment regularly and also electrical appliances, cords, leads and wiring for potential hazards.
Keep a fully-stocked first aid kit with you, especially when you travel.
Fire safety tips
Is your home a death trap?
At this time of year it is also common for fires to break out in informal settlements, often leaving many people homeless and without belongings. You can reach out to your local communities to assist in the event of this happening by providing food and clothing to those in need. Local community organisations and newspapers will give details on how to support families that are struggling as a result of fire damage to housing.