Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Breast implants linked to cancer

21 December 2011, 11:06

Paris - Up to 30 000 French women and perhaps tens of thousands more around the world may need to have defective breast implants removed after several suspicious cancer cases, officials said on Tuesday.

A decision on whether to order the removal of the implants, produced by the Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) company, will be made by the end of the week, after a report from the National Cancer Institute on December 23.

"Today, we're in the process of evaluating these breast implants because of the apparent cancer risk," said government spokesperson Valerie Pecresse.

"The government will announce its action plan between now and the end of the week," she added in an appearance on the LCI television news network.

A health ministry official said no "causal link" between the implants and cancer had yet been established and that "there is no urgent health risk".


Quoting several senior medical officials, French newspaper Liberation reported that the decision had already been made and that health authorities will order the implants to be removed.

It was not immediately clear how many foreign women have been given PIP products but the firm was once the world's third-largest producer of silicone implants, producing 100 000 per year and exporting 80% of its output.

Liberation said 300 000 women around the world had received PIP implants.

PIP was shut down and its product banned in 2010 after it was revealed to have been using non-authorised silicone gel that caused abnormally high rupture rates of its implants.

Health officials said last week that eight cases of cancer, mainly breast cancer, had been reported in women who had received the PIP implants.

"It is urgent for all women who have PIP implants to return to see their surgeons," Pecresse, the French government spokesperson, told LCI television, adding that costs of removal would be covered by state health insurance.

She said that, before the government announces its action plan this week, "we must first of all proceed with a census of women who received these implants and are potentially in danger".

New implants

Prosecutors in Marseille, near the firm's home base of Seyne-sur-Mer, have received more than 2 000 complaints from women who received the implants and have opened a criminal investigation into the firm.

Laurent Lantieri, one of France's best-known cosmetic surgeons and a member of a health department committee on the issue, told Liberation there was no choice but to order the implants' removal.

"We all agree on the necessity of this decision," he said.

"We are facing a health crisis linked with a fraud. The entire profession is aware of this. There is no urgency but we no longer have any choice - all these implants must be removed."

So far 523 women who received PIP implants have had them removed, Liberation said.

The newspaper quoted France's director general for health, Jean-Yves Grall, as saying that while the state would cover the costs of removing implants, it would not pay for implanting new ones unless the women involved had reconstructive surgery following a mastectomy.

"This does not shock me," Lantieri said. "It is not up to society, in a time of crisis, to pay for a new implant for aesthetic reasons."


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...