10 tips for a healthy relationship
22 March 2013, 13:04
Think you've got a great relationship? Here's how to keep it that way.
- Use your head, not just your heart, when picking a man and look at the whole package before making your choice.
- Know the difference between lust and love – it will save you a lot of heartache.
- Learn to voice your desires: Your partner isn't psychic and he can't make you happy unless you let him know what fulfills you.
- Work at your relationship: A close bond is forged through hard work and constant attention; it's not automatic.
- Don't let yourself go: You don't have to bring sexy back but being clean and presentable goes a long way.
- Understand that your feelings may change over time: you won't stay drunk with joy forever but that doesn't mean you don't love each other.
- There is a difference between sex and intimacy: Sex is one avenue to intimacy. Intimacy involves talking and revealing every facet of yourself – the good, the bad and the ugly.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate! Talking about everything is the only way you'll deal with problems, maintain intimacy and know if you're on the same wavelength.
- Understand that you're a unit, but you're both also individuals and your partner is not responsible for your personal happiness – you are. Have a life outside your relationship.
- Learn to apologise – even if you don't always say "sorry", making up after an argument is crucial.
- True Love