10 reasons not to wait by the phone
18 March 2016, 11:44
Everyone's been there. You've met someone you really fancy, they took your number and now you're waiting for the phone to ring. And it does, but first it's someone looking for Algernon Plumbing, then it was your grandmother who blocked the line for 20 agonising minutes talking about her arthritis, and finally your best friend to hear if the call has come through.
Agony. And others in the house have noticed that you're suddenly keen to answer the phone, whereas usually you couldn't care less.
So why shouldn't you hang around waiting for it to ring?
- A watched phone never rings.
- You should not put your life on hold for anyone
- You don't want this person to think that you're desperate, because you answered the phone so quickly
- You could be missing out on other opportunities while you're guarding the phone
- Your family members could catch on and start teasing you
- If this person really wants to get hold of you, he/she will phone again
- If you're not at home when the call comes through, it looks like you have an active social life
- You are doing things to your tension levels and blood pressure if you hang around the phone
- So what if the phone doesn't ring? Your life won't come to a standstill
- If this person is destined to get hold of you, he/she will
Put your faith in fate. Someone I know met a nice guy in London, lost his phone number, and bumped into him again two days later on the Tube – in a city of ten million people! They got married a year later. What must be, will be.
(Susan Erasmus, Health24)