Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Tearful radio host sorry for nurse's family

10 December 2012, 12:37

Sydney - One of the Australian radio presenters who made a prank call to a London hospital treating Prince William's wife Kate on Monday sobbed as she recalled hearing the news that a nurse had been found dead.

Mel Greig and fellow presenter Michael Christian from Sydney radio station 2Day FM have been in hiding and undergoing counselling since their hoax sparked global outrage following the apparent suicide of Jacintha Saldanha.

In her first comments since Saldanha's death last week in London, an emotional Greig said she was devastated at being told the Indian-born nurse had died.

'I hope they're OK'

"Unfortunately I remember that moment very well because I haven't stopped thinking about it since it happened," she told Australia's Seven Network in a teaser segment ahead of the broadcast of a full interview later Monday.

"And I remember my first question was, was she a mother?

In a separate interview with the Nine Network, Greig added: "It came into my head that I just wanted to reach out to them (the family), give them a big hug and say sorry. I hope they're OK, I really do."

The call, with Greig and Christian posing as Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles, was taken by mother-of-two Saldanha, 46, at London's King Edward VII Hospital.

With no receptionist on duty in the early morning, she put them through to a colleague who divulged details of the pregnant Kate's recovery from severe morning sickness.

'Appalling' stunt

Saldanha was subsequently found dead, although British police have refused to confirm whether it was suicide pending an inquest.

Her death sparked an outpouring of fury against the radio station and the presenters, although the broadcaster on Monday said no-one could have foreseen the tragic consequences of what the hospital says was an "appalling" stunt.

Rhys Holleran, chief executive of Southern Cross Austereo, which owns 2Day FM, said the station called the hospital five times to discuss what it had recorded before going to air.

He said he was satisfied that the appropriate checks were conducted before the pre-recorded segment was broadcast.

"It is absolutely true to say that we actually did attempt to contact those people on multiple occasions," Holleran told Fairfax radio.

"We rang them up to discuss what we had recorded.

"We attempted to contact them on no less than five occasions," he added. "We wanted to speak to them about it."

Emergency board meeting

Holleran did not say whether the broadcaster was given any response. The stunt was vetted by lawyers before being aired in Sydney last week, according to the station.

"No one could have reasonably foreseen what has happened," added Holleran, although he said the station was reviewing its actions.

"We think that's an appropriate thing to be doing and we'll do it."

His comments came after Southern Cross Austereo held an emergency board meeting on Sunday to discuss the growing furore which has seen all advertising suspended, and vowed to cooperate with any investigations.

The case has triggered demands for tougher regulation of the electronic media although Australia's press regulator, the Australian Communications and Media Authority, has not commented on whether the station broke any rules.

Communications Minister Stephen Conroy said the ACMA was considering whether to initiate an inquiry beyond its usual process of giving broadcasters 60 days to respond to complaints.

"While the ACMA is gathering the facts and working through the process it would be unwise for me to comment," said Conroy.

Sections of the British press have savagely condemned the hoax and some people online say the presenters have blood on their hands. But Australian media have hit back at "hysterical finger-pointing".



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD to stop Jubilee efforts to r...

The CORD Coalition will not allow plans to remove Kenya from the Rome Statutes take place, it has said. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
How long will it take Kenya to le...

Kenya is looking to leave the ICC. But what is the process behind the exit? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jubilee resumes efforts to push K...

Kenya will this week resume efforts to leave the ICC court. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to treat him right

Men want to go home to a woman who makes them feel loved and appreciated. Here's how to make him feel special here: Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Kenyans demand action after femal...

This comes a few days after a female passenger was drugged and then robbed in a matatu plying the Kenyatta – Kencom route. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Natural aphrodisiacs to boost lib...

It is advisable to take them before sex in order to achieve maximum benefit. Read more...