Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Photographer charged over topless Kate pics

26 July 2013, 14:05

Nanterre - A photographer suspected of having taken topless photographs of the wife of Britain's Prince William published last September in French magazine Closer was charged in June, sources close to the case told AFP on Thursday.

A second photographer is also under judicial inquiry and should be charged "very shortly", the sources said.

The editor of the magazine, Laurence Pieau, was already charged earlier this month for having published the surreptitiously taken photographs of Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, the sources also said.

The topless pictures published on 14 September showed Kate sunbathing on the balcony of a private property in the south of France, where she was on holiday with William.

Kate gave birth to their first child, Prince George, on Monday.

Paparazzi to be identified

The latest developments over the controversial photos come a few months after publishing house Mondadori France's legal representative Ernesto Mauri, another photographer and a senior editor of the newspaper La Provence were charged in the same case.

Mondadori France publishes Closer magazine, while La Provence had splashed photos of the duchess in a bathing costume on its front page a week before Closer, on 7 September.

But La Provence management denied that its photographer had taken the topless pictures of Kate, saying the allegations were "unfair".

After the publication of the pictures the British royals hit back suing for the paparazzi to be identified and further publication of the pictures to be stopped.

A judge near Paris ruled on 18 September that the topless pictures must not be published again, or sold.

Outraged British tabloids called for the paparazzi to be identified, with The Sun carrying the headline "Find the Rat" on 18 September.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...