Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Naomi: Diana gave me permission for role

20 August 2013, 16:07

Los Angeles - Naomi Watts says Princess Diana gave her "permission" to play her.

The 44-year-old actress takes on the title role in new biopic Diana and has insisted while playing the British royal she felt her "presence".

She told the Mail on Sunday newspaper's Event magazine: "There were definitely moments when I felt Diana's presence - I dreamed about her a lot, too, and that's a first. I kept wondering to myself: 'Would she have liked it?'

"So I found myself constantly asking for her permission to carry on. I had saturated myself with Diana and her life and I felt this enormous responsibility of playing this iconic woman.

"It felt like I was spending a lot of time with her. There was one particularly moment when I felt her permission was granted. That won't sound right in print, I know."

The Impossible star admitted accepting the role wasn't an easy decision and she found the prospect of it "very daunting".

She added: "There was a lot of hesitation on my part before I agreed to do it. Obviously I was taking on one of the most famous women of my time and an awful lot of pressure comes with that.

"You want to get it right, and everybody is going to have an opinion on the film and how she should be portrayed. It's very daunting.

"But then I also knew that the exciting roles, the best roles, come with a risk. In the end I decided that I couldn't not do it ... But it was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done. It's as close as I ever want to get to a character."

- BangShowBiz


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...