Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


James May says Top Gear is nothing without Clarkson

25 April 2015, 17:10

Los Angeles - James May says Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson just "wouldn't work".

The 52-year-old star thinks it's "virtually impossible" for someone to do a good job of replacing his former co-host, who was fired from the BBC show following a fracas with producer Oisin Tymon last month.

James - who also starred on Top Gear with Richard Hammond - told the MediaGuardian: "Me and (Richard) Hammond with a surrogate Jeremy is a non-starter, it just wouldn't work ... it has to be the three of us. I don't think you could carry on with two people and put someone in as the new Jeremy because they are not going to be the new Jeremy. That would be short sighted and I don't think it would work. Virtually impossible."

The car enthusiast added that he hopes there is a "future" for the three presenters to work together somewhere down the line, and said ''the BBC haven't completely closed the door'' on Jeremy.

James said: "In the future when all this has blown over there might be an opportunity for three of us to get back together on the BBC to do Top Gear or a car show of some sort.

"The BBC haven't completely closed the door on Jeremy's return. They've not banned him or fired him, only just not renewed his contract for the moment. It's a subtle difference but an important one."

Executive producer resigns

Top Gear boss Andy Wilman has resigned.

The 52-year-old executive producer has quit the show after his close friend, presenter Jeremy Clarkson, was axed from the series last month following a fracas with producer Oisin Tymon.

It was first reported Andy was planning to quit the show in March after an email he sent to staff recalling fond memories of his time on the programme was made public, although he denied the rumour at the time.

In the message he wrote: "We had a lot of laughs, we had a lot of tiffs. We went to amazing places and we went to some shitholes.

"We nearly killed a presenter, we had to run for the border. We started off with whoever we could get in the Reasonably Priced Car and ended up with Tom Cruise."

A spokesperson for the BBC has since confirmed that Andy has handed in his resignation.

- BangShowBiz


WATCH: Kwesta's new music video

22 October 2016, 16:23

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...