Zuma corruption charges still with NPA for decision - Nhleko
26 May 2016, 21:44
Cape Town – The NPA is still deciding whether to proceed
with corruption charges against President Jacob Zuma over upgrades to his
Nkandla homestead, Police Minister Nathi Nhleko said on Thursday.
In a written reply to a parliamentary question, Nhleko said
the docket was with the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) for a decision.
DA leader Mmusi Maimane opened the case at the Nkandla
police station two years ago. The party had alleged that there were eight
instances of corruption.
DA MP Zakhele Mbhele also asked Nhleko for the names of the
“The details of the investigating officer cannot be
disclosed to allow the investigation to be conducted without fear or favour,”
Maimane on Thursday called for the decision to be made
“We cannot afford for this matter to be dragged out, as we
have seen in the spy tapes matter, which is now entering its 7th year in court
as a result of the National Director of Public Prosecutions, advocate Shaun
Abrahams’s decision last week to apply for leave to appeal the High Court
decision in that matter,” he said.
In 2014 in another reply, Nhleko told the DA that all proper
procedures were being followed in the investigation and that the matter was sub
Nhleko defends his Nkandla report, again
Meanwhile, Nhleko again defended his decision not to ask for
legal advice in compiling his own Nkandla report.
He found Zuma did not have to pay for any of the so-called
security upgrades to his Nkandla homestead.
This contradicted Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s
findings that he had to repay a reasonable portion of the R246m spent.
In his reply on Thursday, Nhleko reiterated that he had not
asked for legal advice before compiling the report as he had not considered it necessary.
He had considered the matter and made findings with the help
of the relevant security experts.